Pages

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Drudgery Of Indelible Thoughts

Whether you are studying for your midterm, drawing a picture on paper or learning how to ride a bike for the first time, the inquiry that is commonly asked subconsciously is, “HOW DO I START??”


The same thing goes for writing by which is the bane of initial embrace between indelible ink and paper. Metaphorically, the marriage between the two inanimate objects can be conducted in many ways. It all depends on how the writer chooses to start the relationship stage before taking that big step towards something eternal, “til death do we part”.


HERE IS MY PROCESS


I am always excited to portray these ideas into life for the reader to imagine for their viewing pleasure. Unfortunately, the beginning stage of writing is irritable. I always sit down on my seat with writing utensil in hand, if not, laptop on desk, constantly staring at the piece of paper or screen, thinking of how I’m going to translate all my scattered ideas into ink or font.


As long as they stick to the thesis of the story, I allow all my convoluted thoughts and ideas marinate inside my mind. I stare at the screen or paper and I ask myself, “how do I start?”


Naturally, I start writing / typing my initial thoughts down to establish a flow that races through my mind. As the number of texts augment, the more fluid my translation of thoughts inject into material. I can never convert a hundred percent of my ideas into something concrete (very aggravating!), but as long as I capture the theme and captivate the reader, including myself, I am satisfied. The progression of ideas is imbued and creativity is born!


HERE IS A RECOMMENDED SOLUTION


Considering that I am a novice, conclusively, following these steps should minimize the drudgery of indelible thoughts.


Ø THEME: Write down the theme of your potential body of work. It will help you gravitate all these ideas based on the thesis.

Ø OUTLINE YOUR THOUGHTS: Grab a piece of paper and outline all your thoughts and ideas to establish some type of structure towards the unpainted portrait.

Ø START TYPING: With a thesis and outline of ideas in hand, it’s time to transform them into a beautifully transposed written artwork.


The drudgery of writing is an inevitable process that even the greatest of writer’s must succumb. It requires patience and love for the art to bare such a burden. Once creativity is set in place, the end result is well worth the pain.


“Writing is sweat and drudgery most of the time. And you have to love it in order to endure the solitude and the discipline.” ~ Peter Benchley


Jeff L.

Smock Salute

No comments:

Post a Comment