Pages

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Poetry In Motion: My First Sonnet

As a few would already know, I am a poet that has accumulated numerous amounts of poems in my short writing career. As a novice, I still possess room for growth and improvement in the craft, not just poetry alone. Last week, I was challenged by fellow Smock member “RIVAFLOWZ” to write a sonnet by which was my first structured writing activity that possessed great difficulty, at first.


My thought process when it comes to writing is free flowing like water poured into a glass cup. Usually, when I begin inscribing my thoughts and feelings on paper, well, my Iphone rather, my poetry is birthed like ALAKAZAM! Writing a sonnet was a new challenge that I had to face. Maintaining the same analogy, I would compare it to pouring honey into a glass cup. Honey is more viscous than H2O meaning that it wasn’t as free flowing as I thought.


Albeit I couldn’t complete my original sonnet in the presence of my fellow Smock member, I chose not to falter. I took my time later that night to construct a new sonnet and VOILA! Below, I present to you my first sonnet; I hope you like. YOU BE THE JUDGE!


“My Songstress”


Beauty is revered in my line of sight.

My gaze peers through your transparent figure.

The sounds and melodies light up my night.

My reflections are sung like a mirror.

Muse is the name that I bestow on you.

A godly figure you are to all men.

Your harmonizing song captures my view.

I gravitate towards your vibe like a friend.

We evolve beyond this relationship.

You pierced through my heart with a love arrow.

Forever, we remain a partnership.

Your love serum flows through my bone marrow.

Your voluptuous warmth is like a mink.

The marriage of our union keeps us linked.


Inspired by my Ipod Classic.


What have I learned?


Ø How to write a sonnet.

Ø Never give up on the challenges that await you, whether in writing or life in general.


Jeff L.

Smock Salute

1 comment:

  1. I love this! Awesome use of words and I love the perspective! Great job!

    ReplyDelete