Pages

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Write->Revise->Satisfied

Writing is a difficult craft based simply on the two sequential inquiries, “What to Write?” and “How to Write?” Answer these two questions and you have art! But the latter identifies the value of your portrait and deciphers whether we have a painting by a low level underling or a professional like Jean-Michel Basquiat.


Realistically, anybody can write by picking up a writing utensil. The trick to being a good, if not better writer is the process of REVISION!


Recently I came to this epiphany, on two occasions, meeting an acquaintance that sullenly voiced it and my first handwritten poem, “Full With Emptiness” (refer to Writer’s Smock post dated 07-13-11). As a poet, I am used to free styling my poetic lyrics through electronic keys; rarely did I aggressively edit to satisfaction, except for minor tweaks. I knew revision was a handy tool to make all writing better, but after last weeks’ experience, it dawned on me like the sunrise and shed light on my nightly sky or mind. Personally, I’m going to delete my former writing procedure at least for the time being and hand write before I type and edit more to my satisfaction.


With that in handy, maybe I can be like Basquiat when I paint. I’m sure he had a few mishaps while doing so. Check out the mess I made in the above picture in order to give a clean read.


To all aspiring writers, remember “Write Then Revise Until Satisfied!”


Until Next Revise,


Jeff L.

Smock Salute

No comments:

Post a Comment