Pages

Monday, October 17, 2011

Book Review: The Pastor's Wife

The Pastor's Life!

Birthed and growing up under the Roman Catholic faith, I incorporated and utilized few if not many of the main principles of its teachings to better others and myself. Tis the Christian way! As we should all live our daily lives. I have attended private school my entire life with exemption of Junior High School; I must confess, being a good Catholic/Christian is not my strong point, barely attending church nor kneel to show praise. Even worst, my lack of communication with the man upstairs. Does that make me a bad person? I wouldn't think so. A very dear, close friend of mine put me onto a book by which would further my re-acquaintance with these ideals that have passed by the many year.

Not to be confused with the 1996 film, with slightly different title, The Pastors Wife by Sabina Wurmbrand is a non-fictional story of persecution, faith, strength, and adversity in a time period where being of religious background was not revered nor highly accepted during post World War Two and pre-Cold War in the Red Country.

I must admit, at first read, my eyelids were ready to come to a complete close until they reawakened by interesting and horrid events. The first book that I thought of in comparison was Man's Search For Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl. I haven't read it since high school and an instant classic amongst many bestsellers. Ironically, it was one of my favorite books for a non-avid reader at the time.

The book is well written from the subjective view of the author and contemporary in personality and language within the period of religious and political instability. The time frame of religious persecution prior and during war was rampant. Christians and Jews lived in hiding, in fear for their safety for believing in the intangible. The oppressors that deemed them inhumane for not seeing with the naked eye horribly enslaved them. To some degree, we are still misunderstood when it comes to faith.

The elements that stuck out were the strength exuded by the author and close ones during the slavery. Not many can live and tell the tale through inevitable success. All emotions and events were graphically presented for vivid imagery that may stain for a long time. And most importantly, it revitalized what it means to be human, pressured by temptations and weaknesses, even amongst the best of us.

The book re-affirmed my Catholic belief to a small extent and emphasized the power of sharing and caring. Those hold a higher significance in life, people and religion. That's my faith!

So, I recommend it as a read and always remember, "Do unto others as you would have them done unto you."

Jeff L.
Smock Salute!

Smiling and shining



No comments:

Post a Comment