Pages

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Memoir To The Purple Fighter


Last Sunday, Writer Smock convened to discuss the theme of the afternoon, “determination”. Easily, I could have presented a written piece dedicated to my own perseverance, but I chose to do something different. Instead, I dedicated this memoir to a good friend of mine that contracted Lupus years ago. Throughout our friendship, I have come to learn much about her struggle, and grown to admire her strength in dealing with it. So, I present to you, my memoir dedicated to her. Enjoy!


Purple Fighter


The passage of time has brought us together. Friend is what we are; overtime, our bond has grown thick like the chain that keeps us linked. When I first met you, I didn’t know anything about you. The seasons flew by and here we are, friends for life. Your struggle is bearable yet, torture. I understand your pain, albeit, I see light at the end of your tunnel.


You’re warm and cool like the colors red and blue, respectively. Blended together, makes an interesting compound color. It makes sense, considering that is your favorite hue. Purple is well imbued in your veins. You’re blood stream is bright like the birthstone to your birthday. The appealing color is uplifting, encouraging, and creative to no end. You are spiritual as well, possibly see more than what’s within. I suppose it was heaven sent.


A product of an environment that stands under the shower of a disease that you didn’t ask for, painful as it is. Yet, you still remain strong and don’t let it bother you at all. I can see it in your eyes and posture, treating it like another day in the life. With short stature and hidden muscles to my surprise, you treat it like another day, another fight.


She is the purple fighter! You fight with fists held high, eyes stern with a gaze that pierces through your enemy’s skull and possibly through the wall. With grace and mental toughness, she has the capability to fight with elegance like a purple flower that shines under the sun. No matter the weather, rain or shine, stand tall and head held high under heaven’s eye.


“Determination” is the key that unlocks the door to her strength, such a powerful tool that is the source of her panacea to this arthritic leech. Fight hard and keep going. If ever you falter, get back up. You have my support and others as well. Get well soon and of course I bid you adieu. And one more thing, “Together we will find a cure!” That is what my wrist speaks in potent volume.


Until Next Time,


Jeff L.

Smock Salute!

1 comment:

  1. I'm telling this brings tears to my eyes everytime I read it!!! Thanks for ur amazing ability to see me the way u do! I couldn't ask for a better support.

    ReplyDelete