Pages

Thursday, April 7, 2011

My 6th Grade Speech-The Power of Belief

Many of my most important lessons in life were learned very early in my development. I learned perhaps my most important one at the age of 12. On the verge of making the jump from elementary school to junior high, I was called upon to write a speech. If my teacher, deemed my speech to be better than the speeches written by some of my classmates, I would then be given the honor of reading it in front of an audience at graduation. This Idea mortified me!!! I couldn't get up there and read in front of people! Surely, they would laugh at me!! Long story short, I wrote the speech, but made sure to not do my best. My friend, Devaughn won the right to read his speech and I sat in the audience.
Last time I posted, I spoke of fear and it's consequences for me as a writer. Today, we should focus on what belief can do for you as a writer and in life. This week I take a right of passage that many before have taken. I strike out on my own to live by myself and I also strike out on my own to create a comic character that answers the question "what can one person accomplish if they just believe it to be possible?"
The majority of my life has been an exercise in doubt. It's never too late to start the process of change though. I hope that you stick around too see how I grow as an artist in the medium I love. I'm looking forward to sharing the experience with you.

Until next time,
Don't get Smocked!
Thierry

1 comment: