Pages

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Birth Of Ideas


Last week upon active reading, specifically The Zahir by Paulo Coelho, I came to the self-inquiry of “Where do the ideas come from?” Is it some type of serendipity that is drawn from the vastness of clouds or spontaneously, they come to us at a moments call upon worthiness?


For most writers, they are receptive to these drawn intangibles differently from the next one:


“Writing is one of the most solitary activities in the world. Once every two years, I sit down in front of the computer, gaze out on the unknown sea of my soul, and see a few islands – ideas that have developed and which are ripe to be explored. Then I climb into my boat – called The Word – and set out for the nearest island. On the way I meet strong currents, winds, and storms, but I keep rowing, exhausted, knowing that I have drifted away from my chosen course and that the island I was trying to reach is no longer on my horizon” ~ Paulo Coelho (The Zahir)


This week, I met a mathematician-tutor, also an aspiring writer, and somewhere along our conversation, he mentioned that these invisible images are harnessed from this “Muse”. Maybe so, hence I wrote this poem:


"Muse (Deity Of Ideas)"


From your heaven,

you have continued to bless my empty soul.

Feelings of joy, anguish and anger are embedded within my sleep.

Finally, to be awaken by your spirit.

Enter through me and share the same emotions that bring forth feelings.

Blood for my ink.

Energy for my fingertips.

Body for my paper.

Bless them with your holiness.

Bless them with your grace.

Bless them with forgiveness for we have sinned.

We are the same built in your image.

Vicariously, living through you.

The unseen figure.

Appearing out of nothingness.

An omen to my prayers.

I lift up my heart to you.

Sanctified be the beauty.

My Muse.

An idea that travels like the speed of light.

Infinite space is yours.

The stars and planets are offerings to my inhabitant.

To create a new world with just a simple stroke.


My conclusive epiphany – No matter the writer’s natal inspiration, it is summoned at some fateful random occurrence that is eventually transcribed from the depths of our soul to be understood through marriage of ink and paper. That is the beauty of it all.


Jeff L.

Smock Salute!

No comments:

Post a Comment