Pages

Friday, June 17, 2011

The treasure hunt

I write for a living. People actually pay me to work with words through various mediums.
On most days, i feel like i have the coolest career on the planet but unfortunately thats not everyday.

When you get to do something you love for work it can easily start to feel like work. How do you make what you once did for fun retain the joy?

My answer has always been to embark on a treasure hunt. Rediscover everything about your passion that once gave you chills. As of recent i have been writing and although what i was producing was incredible i lacked enthusiasm for writing period. I wasn't excited about my work/gift anymore. This is not to be confused with writers block because writing wasnt the trouble. I was getting seemingly frustrated with my feelings toward the page until today.

I embarked on a treasure hunt. I turned to reading when writing upsets me and long forgotten on my book shelf was a copy of The dead emcee scrolls by Saul williams. I decided to finally read it. Each page left me in awe of language. This book is filled with untapped inspiration for my own writing. I am lost between saul's simple genius and my own stream of flow.

Your task is to begin your own treasure hunt for the pleasure of writing that brought you to the page in the first place!

Happy writing,
The azul smocker

No comments:

Post a Comment