Pages

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Poetry In Motion: The Weekend That Was Poetry

Last weekend was another eventful two days dedicated to the art of bone chilling, heart warming and aesthetically portrayed words, that which we call poetry. Thanks to the Azul Smoker, I gained an experience that had me enveloped in an environment of afro-centrism, hip-hop oriented, finger snapping, and musically inclined feel.


It started at the notorious Nuyorican Poet’s Café by which was my first visit. Honestly, I pictured it as a grandiose atmosphere of waited tables, chairs, big stage, banners, but on the contrary, it was the opposite, nonetheless grand in essence. I watched talented high school kids perform with a passion that evoked a sense of enjoyment in my seated stature. Urban Word NYC will be competing for Nationals next month in the state of California. GO NYC!



On the following day, I spent another exciting evening at Le Poisson Rouge. It was filled with celebrity poets congregated to perform a live show with singing, background instrumentals and floetic vocals on the mic for everybody’s nightly enjoyment. I was enamored by the experience. And what I took from it was the amount of practice, diligence, and preparation required to reach such a big stage. On top of that, the fun, amusement, and jollification; also, the interaction between artists and audience alike, feeding off each other chi, all conducive to a great night of poetry.


On that note, I will be attending more in the future and one day grace the big stage in the near or far future.


Jeff L.

Smock Salute

No comments:

Post a Comment