Pages

Friday, May 6, 2011

A Lesson in Long Hand. A Modern Labor of Love.




It’s 2011, and here I am, typing in my 2011 version of Microsoft Word for Mac. Everything is easy – a computer suffices, and you unlock a window of word counts, automatic saving, and copy & pasting. But it wasn’t always like this. But before the advent of laptops, there were word processors, and before that typewriters. And of course, before that, we had the good old pen and paper.

I’ve decided to kick it old school for my manuscript. That’s right, pen and paper.

Granted, it’s much easier to write on a laptop nowadays- nearly all writers can type faster than they write. If your blessed as a speed-typist, you can stay on par with your creative sentences, and keep in line with your train of thought.

But there are disadvantages. Big ones.

For one, there’s the Internet – which is the biggest distraction of them all. Twitter, Facebook, and the ever-evolving landscape of the age of 24/7 news.

Then you got your constant email checking, and talking to your friends on instant messaging.

And to the Arcane.

I watched a video of an interview by Robert Caro, winner of multiple Pulizer Prizes. I was surprised by the contents of his desk at his 5th avenue office - he had one white legal pad, and the typewriter that he’s been using since he quit his job some 40 years ago.

I thought this would hurt my productivity, since I can get out content much faster on the computer, with the use of automation – auto spell, auto correct, etc.

But the advantages of writing down long hand are endless. Although slower, you can concentrate fully without any distractions. There may be a spike in production, but that remains to be seen. From now until August 1st (when I plan on finishing my manuscript) I’ll be writing on the paper. Of course I’ll be doing some transcribing to the computer, and re-writing on it, but the original drafts.

I’ll let you guys know how it goes!

Until next time.

Ralph, a smocker scared of the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment