Pages

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Reading Is Fundamental


Within the past two weeks, I have been doing a lot of reading, more than usual. Fellow Smock member, Ralph, recommended a book, Waiter Rant by author, Steve Dublanica, whom was declared best seller at the time of its release. The book is highly entertaining and now deemed one of my favorites. I liked it so much; just two days ago I was speaking of the book to a restaurant host and recommended he check it out (I highly recommend you it pick up). After completion of the book yesterday, I came to the conclusion that READING IS FUNDAMENTAL in accordance to writing and other valuable aspects as well.


Brief summarization - Through trial and tribulations amongst former dream aspirations and less-interesting occupations, the author became a managerial waiter in NYC by which over the years, has become his bailiwick. He created a blog (www.waiterrant.blogspot.com) and shared stories of his experiences as a waiter by which is translated into the book above (specifically on the left). The sequel is located on the right hand side.


The author embarks on a journey on what he “truly” wants to do in his life (WRITE).

As I was reading, it had me thinking about my own life, so I naturally participated in self-reflection (which I do often). Although I don’t have any restaurant credentials in my personal life resume, I can relate and understand his struggles in some ways or the other. Reading the book vicariously through his eyes taught me many things, in writing and in life.


In relation to WRITING:


Once again, as we all know, reading is “definitely” fundamental to the art of writing. The imagination draws from others’ stories and provides new insight and information for your learning and entertainment pleasure. Basically, the bigger your imagination, your view on the world’s constructs become more visible to the human senses. As writers through relations and comprehension of the author’s fictional or nonfictional stories, we can generate our own piece of mind and use certain traits and styles to formulate our own. Also, in turn, utilize words that are used constantly by authors for your own expansion in literature.


In relation to LIFE:


It took the author many years to come into grips of his own fears, wants, necessities, and growth by which all equate into the ultimate life motivating intangible – HAPPINESS. So, I looked at it as an adventure of struggles as not just a waiter, but himself. Hence, you can learn a thing or two from a book and can apply it your own advancements.


By coming to these conclusive epiphanies, as a poet - he became a writer by jumpstarting a blog and myself through poetry. Writing starts with one-self, meaning self-education, not just school lessons alone. As an average person amongst many, he is no different from everybody, a person attempting make a happy living for himself.


Next step– read the sequel “Keep The Change”


Jeff L.

Smock Salute!

1 comment:

  1. Very Insightful and I most agree with your conclusions! Well done!

    ReplyDelete