Pages

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Poetry In Motion: My First Poetry Jam


On Saturday, May 14th, I attended my first poetry jam (Voices For The Voiceless Poetry) located in New Rochelle, NY, along with fellow Smock members, Numero Uno Mother-Smocker and Smoker Deuce, for a night of laughs, entertainment, and FRIED CHICKEN!


On my spare time, I have watched performers perform on stage with passion, enunciation, resound, and hand gestures to assimilate poetry with their body. Although, I have a long catalog of poems on deck, they are yet to be memorized within the memory bank of my head. So, considering that this was my first event, I went there with intent of listening and observation.


I watched each poet/singer with open ears and mind, and gained a lot of insight on what is needed to perform well at these events; for sure, it is going to take practice, dedication, diligence, and consistent memorization. Sounds like attributes needed for the school of theater and performing arts. But, while watching each performance with burning excitement, I told myself that I could definitely see myself performing and excelling on stage.


This summer, I’m going to get back into practice of writing a poem a day, effective today, and practice my cadence and performing, hopefully with the help of RIVAFLOWS.


With that being said, well, typewritten, I shall leave you with an uplifting and blissful piece, which seemed to be the theme of the night.


ENJOY


"Sky"

Feel free to touch the sky, as we all get high.
High off the life.
Life is strife.
A knife ready to strike.
An open wound to the soul.
Such a deep blow.
All wounds heal over time.
Don't let time pass you by.
The limit is the sky!
Among the clouds where we reside.
Rainy days always pass by.
The floods never last long.
When there is rain,
the sun will always shine.
It illuminates the sky
just like our smile.
No need to be sour like a lime.
Everything will be fine.
Reach for the heavens above.
Extend our hand to the one
that will never let go
as the almighty pulls us up
to the place where we belong.


Jeff L.

Smock Salute

No comments:

Post a Comment