Pages

Monday, May 16, 2011

Messsy Monday – 5.16.11




On a rainy, dreary Sunday, the Smocked avengers commenced at Moe’s Southwestern Grill.

DEBUTANTE ALERT:

Introducing the newest smocker who’s ready and willing to talk smock, Blue, the Azul Smocker, hailing from Brooklyn, NY, working as a writing teacher in Harlem, NY, and breathing NEW YORK. Welcome Blue!

We read our pieces on offline, compliments of my medulla oblongata. Everyone had their interpretation on the subject matter. Erica wrote about the dichotomy of her popping social networking life, and her real life. Jeff and Blue respectively read their poems. Great discussion! Here was my piece, inspired by my experience that Jeff and I encountered on a line at a New York Night Club:

Here I was in a time, on a street, walking into something I’ve been out of. I hate to be vague, but the precipitation didn’t help either. We were on, but what were we on? A cacophony of people that were online – Googling on smartphones with googly eyes, texting loved one that secured entrée, only fueled the disdain for those that were on line.

I was on but now I was off, for Riva flowed out the race. “I left my ID” she said, a statement that I’ve been married to in the past. But the present is now, and here we were unwilling to buy at a 2,000% mark-up.

Enter Ross – we’ve been down this road – rather down this line before. I’ve consumed nearly 7 hours of my life trading life stories on scenarios like this. “I told Fran, we’re too old for this shit,” he said, showing his age.

He was on his Storm, online, telling those that were in that he was getting off. He trooped it, after forking $45, frustrated with the ills of city-life parallel parking. Before he said, “I’m out” I was in his personal life, grieving vicariously the loss of his domestic partner, and celebrating his one year anniversary of employment. This is his updated slice of life, surely to be updated, once again, on a line, down the line.

Five minutes was too precious for him, he took it to walk back to the parking garage. And as it elapsed we were still off line, never to be online again.

And then I threw up.


Next week we have a concept, in a phrase brought to us by Blue. “THERE IS JOY IN REPETITION” Interesting.

Until tomorrow.

Ralph, Numero Uno Mother Smocker

No comments:

Post a Comment