Pages

Thursday, May 26, 2011

The Punching Bag – A Writer’s Delight




Yesterday, I heard the indifferent news that Kris Humphries, pseudo-star of the New Jersey Nets has become engaged to his terse-time girlfriend the famous Kim Kardashian. Excellent news for the entire journalistic community that’s been stuck in her personal business, and of course, good news for her new fiancé Kris Humphries. But soon as I heard of the new found union, I immediately thought of the past failure, that is, the up and down relationship with Kim had with her now ex-boyfriend, the New Orleans running back Reggie Bush.

A personal pain is a writer’s delight, the same plight that Reggie Bush is in – knowing that someone will marry his ex – to him, the girl that got away. Every writer knows about this dynamic. You become infatuated with a person of the opposite sex, you write about the highs of a date that just commenced, the way they make you feel in their absence, and everything in between.

And when things don’t work out – forget about it. IT’S OPEN SEASON.

Although I’ve moved on, I think of one particular young lady that lives in my internal purgatory. I keep her there, in the depths of my soul, when I need to conjure up inspiration at a moment’s notice. I’ve written over 500 works of bad poetry, dozen’s of short stories of how I wanted things to end up between us (and subsequently how it ended up), and a book’s worth of text messages.

No, I’m not encouraging heartbreak, but damn it makes beautiful art. What’s your punching bag?!?

Until Next Time.

# 1 Smocker – Ralph “Pino”

No comments:

Post a Comment