Pages

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

What Yields the Best Writing? Happiness or Sadness?




I’m ecstatic when I’m productive, but ironically, that comes from when I feel some sort of melancholy. I feel as thought the quality of writing I produce is at my absolute best when I’m faced with adversity, sadness and the like.

When I’m happy? Not so much? It’s hard for me to stomach writing poetry when I use works like joy, happy, smiles. The grittiest sh*t I’ve ever wrote was through death, heartbreak, and things just not going my way.

But, when I am happy, and of course that’s what we strive for everything outside of the writing world, being productive is a must.

In this case you have to force yourself to write, whether it be in a journal, diary, poems, and short stories – no matter how much they suck. Perhaps you have to fake it – I suggest reading somber and depressing/tragic books to pull you in that mood.

Either way we must find that balance, and no matter what. WRITE.

Until next time.

Ralph

No comments:

Post a Comment